This is for all of the single ladies who travel. For all of the women out there who decided that, whatever the circumstances may have been, that they wouldn’t let anything hold them back from experiencing all of the riches that this world has to offer. I’m talking to you, fellow solo female traveler.
At times you feel like a rock, unbreakable and steadfast, and at other times, it gets difficult. It feels like nobody around you understands, or like everyone else is coupled off and makes it look like they’ve got it all figured out, and it makes you wonder if you’re being left behind.
Yet I guarantee they’re pining after your travel photos, wishing for your amazing stories with perfect strangers who became friends or even lovers, and wishing they could be as beautiful and free as you. Nobody tells you what to do, nothing prevents you from following your whims, and that kind of power can be intimidating for many.
There’s no right or wrong way to live except for the way that you choose, and traveling alone will never make that choice clearer. To all the single ladies who travel, when times are tough or perfectly perfect, make these promises with me:
– To smile and confidently say ‘maybe never’ when locals ask when you’re going to have kids.
– To never be ashamed of our own sexuality, and feminine power.
– To never forget the divine goddesses that we are. We’re designed to be the givers and sustainers of life, if and when we choose to.
– To act with grace and respect, but also to take no shit!
– To hold our heads up high and walk like a man, just so that they know we will look them in the eye, and command the respect we deserve.
– To say ‘no’ without ever feeling guilty or obligated.
– To say ‘yes’ without ever feeling guilty or obligated.
– To have the courage to sit on a romantic beach without wishing there was someone else there. Nobody else will make that sunset more beautiful or that ocean more blue than wonderful you.
– To own your decision to go it alone.
– To never look at his Facebook during your trip, because there’s nothing good nor nurturing for you on there, girl.
– To be safe and responsible and have some damn fun without saying sorry.
– To appreciate and own the freedom that you have, to acknowledge the privilege you were born with, and to use it to its fullest potential, on behalf of all of the women out there who will never have that chance.
– To have the courage to go, and to trust that the girls who have gone before you have paved the way and to know that you’ll leave a trail for those who come after.
– To have an open heart because you absolutely never can know who you’ll meet, so forget what you left behind, and when that’s hard to do, remember why you left it there.
– To support the local female artisans you find on your journey, because we have more in common than we don’t.
– To not let fear win, because at every stage of your life when you did something great, did you really feel 100% ready?
– To remember that even though our friends and family are well-meaning, the choice is ours to make to go it alone.
– To remember that we are not who we date and are married to. We are the woman who we are when we’re alone, and she’s amazing.
– To never apologize for being strong, independent, and powerful.
– To know that a man is not necessary to carry the backpack, navigate the route, negotiate, and captain the ship. To find that, time and time again, that he’s not actually necessary for much of anything.
– To embrace loneliness as a chance to form your own opinions, call your own shots, and know thyself.
– To take setbacks in stride, to find all the strength that we never knew we had, and to embrace new challenges with open arms. Let us find out what we’re made of.
– To know that whatever happens, and whatever we feel or decide, that it’s okay, as long as it’s our choice.
– To know that we are beautiful in more ways than just the physical, without needing anyone else to tell us so.
– To feel gratitude every damn day.
Ladies, you got this. You don’t need anything but you, and the world. The time has never been better and the possibilities have never been more available than they are right here and right now.
It’s time to see the world, take the opportunity and run with it!
Make it happen with the guidebook for solo female travelers. Get easy tips on the money part, how to stay safe, what to bring, and how to make the journey work for you.